Kimball is near the center of the township at Ditty and Dove Roads just east of North Pine River Road (42°56′53″N 82°33′45″W; Elevation: 636 ft./194 m.). Land purchases were made as early as 1825 but settlement did not begin until about 1840 when Barzillai Wheeler and John S. Kimball arrived. When the township was organized in 1855, it was named for Kimball. It was a station on the Port Huron and Northwestern Railway in 1882 and was given a post office as "Kimbal" in December 1882. The spelling was corrected to Kimball in January 1889 and the office closed in June 1908.